dinsdag 19 mei 2009

Slavic Countries RR - Group 56

It is always special to receive cards from 'hard to get' countries. Ukraïne is in my opinion 'hard to get' via officials so I was very happy when I found the Slavic Countries Round Robin, organised by Ksenia. Today I received a card from alivemary. A beautiful card of Kyiv, especially the Kyiv Lavra. I used to go the Kyiv in 2007 with my study but unfortunatley it was too expensive and the university didn't give permission :( Instead of Kyiv, we went to Bucharest. I'm happy to see something from Kyiv now. I have read that the Lavra is inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage site! So it's my first UNESCO site from Ukraïne as well! :D



"Designed to rival Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, Kiev's Saint-Sophia Cathedral symbolizes the 'new Constantinople', capital of the Christian principality of Kiev, which was created in the 11th century in a region evangelized after the baptism of St Vladimir in 988. The spiritual and intellectual influence of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra contributed to the spread of Orthodox thought and the Orthodox faith in the Russian world from the 17th to the 19th century."

1 opmerking: